Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Arrival in Rome

Our flight from the USA went well -- no major issues on the whole. The seating on KLM was crowded, and the seats felt smaller than ever. I would have saved a lot of money and been more comfortable if I had mailed myself in a crate, but the food was very good.

Our apartments are very nice, and the landlady is friendly and helpful. Its a multistory apartment building west of the city. It gives a real flavor of European living, and at a rate much better than a hotel. Each apartment is well-appointed in a "eurostyle" like Ikea, and has free wi-fi. We each have a kitchen and patios with little city views. I have a corner apartment with two such terraces.
We went out to eat, which was both expensive and delicious. We were at an odd hour, so we could only order appetizers. I had salmon and cheese, while others had a variety of interesting appetizers that aren't standard fare at home.
After that I had to sleep. I had not slept the entire journey and had been awake for about 30 hours. I awoke after a few hours (around 11pm local) with a text from Angelina (a student) that she was locked in her apartment and couldn't get out. Apparently most of the others had gone downtown with Mr Lawhon. They returned within the next half hour so I guess all went well.

As an aside, the locks on these doors are high quality by American standards; a single key turn closes 4 separate deadbolts both at the foot and the middle of the door. The doors cant be left open to the outside. I guess we have to be careful to only close the deadbolts when everyone is outside, or when everyone is inside.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

kathleen Pearl said...

It sounds like yall are having a good time. Post some pictures! I miss you.

Kathleen Pearl said...

PS. You better bring me something nice, from every place that you visit... your ever loving wife (and single parent to your kids and babysitter to your mother while you are away) ;-)

Berkley Pearl said...

Yippeeee!!!! Daddys in Rome !!!!!!!
Love ,
Berkley you little girl

Berkley Pearl said...

Hay daddy I read the tippy top part were you talked about your blog you don't have fans,you don't do concerts,you don't do book signing, and I don't remember the last one daddy you are awesome but just not that awesome; ) please don't be offended this is ment to be funny
Love,
Berkley you little girl

Berkley Pearl said...

Oh P.S. Mommy is mad at you for not telling her that Uncle Brad is going to leave Tasha's dog with us for the next 13 days!!!!!!!! Tee Hee : )
Love,
Berkley your little girl